Tuesday, May 8, 2012
The Veranda - Three
After I finished blocking in the color for the veranda floor, I realized it was the same color that I will be using for the cheetah. Hmmmm. That will never do. So I overpainted it with white so that the cheetah will be easier to paint. I got rid of the pot belly on the cheetah, wish it were that easy to do in real life. Still gotta fix that face. Not only the cheetah's face needs altering, now the odd perspective which works in the Persian paintings is really not working here. No doubt because I did not use the same perspective on the homes in hills.
So I need to make a decision, since I want consistency. Either I change the Western style perspective of the homes and "flatten" them out so that it becomes more like a Persian miniatures painting style, or I change the perspective of the veranda and the woman's chair to a more Western style of perspective. I decide to compromise. I like the homes as they are, and I don't want to change them. On the other hand, I still want to infuse the painting with a sense of the past, so even though I will be doing lots of corrections in the foreground, I'm going to have to figure out how to retain the air of a Persian miniature painting. Maybe I can't do it. Maybe this little challenge is just not possible. But I'll try it out. Sometimes the best results come from mistakes and unplanned detours!