Monday, October 1, 2012

Autumn garden



Autumn is one of the most spectacular seasons for color in the Midwest. I remember planting this tall grass "Miscanthus" in the spring when I first moved into my house 15 years ago. It was a plug of dirt with a tiny 4 inch wisp of grass. "Don't plant it too early", said the garden center expert, "it hates the cold and is slow to root." Well, it has certainly adapted and thrived, and I love the variety of color it provides. It stays this color all winter long, and if a blizzard buries it under a blanket of snow, the plumes will struggle until they stand upright again. A little weird if you ask me, but you gotta love a plant with such spirit! The pink sedum attracts bees and butterflies, and it's one of my favorite varieties of plants.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your backyard is gorgeous, Andree! Fall is my (and my mom's!) favorite season as well. The colors have been just fantastic this year (must be the drought?).

My kids just love to see what you've come up next - your work is so fun and colorful. Or course, having 4 girls who love dress up and accessories, your Mod Girl theme has been a hit! :)

Love to you and hope that Uncle Leo is doing well! Enjoy a few peeks of sun before Old Man Winter moves back to MN!

Love,
Sarah Grant

Andree Tracey said...

Hey Sarah, So nice to hear from you! All is well here and dad is doing fine. Hope all is well with you and that you and your family had a chance to enjoy the fall - because it seems to have come to a screeching halt today! Brrrrrr....I'm definitely not ready for the snow, but what are we to do?

My love to you all!