Friday, July 19, 2013

Aphrodite @ the MOA Sketch



I've been very distracted by nature lately, so back to the drawing board! My last post (before all the Nature stuff) was my painting of Aphrodite at the Mall of America.  Here's the study from my sketchbook. I'll add the painting again, too, so you can see the before and after effect. The sketch is pretty worn, but you can see all the notations I made to remind myself of colors and other details once I got back in the studio. I love sketching on location, it makes for a personal connection to my work that doesn't happen with photos or other scrap references. All those "in-love" flying people? Well, they were there, you just didn't see them. You must look again when you go shopping.

2 comments:

Way Out Wear said...

This is such a wonderful painting and I love your use of lighting! Very nice, you have such great talent!

Andree Tracey said...

Thanks for your kind words, Denise!