Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bershon


In the previous post, I made mention of the young girl's strange expression, saying that I couldn't quite figure it out...was she bored? Annoyed? Impatient? A very kind reader named Heidi wrote in the comment section "I think it's called "bershon". At first I thought she was referring to the little white dog, and I was getting ready to comment back saying no, that's a Norwich Terrier... (haha) but thankfully before I took pen in hand, or hands to keyboard, I used my dictionary. I'm probably the only person in the universe who doesn't know what "bershon" means - but this word fits the young girl's expression just perfectly!

The best definition I found was in an article written by Michael Bierut, and I quote: "Bershon was first introduced to a wide audience by writer and blogger Sarah Brown, who remembered it as a word from her own teenage years. Her definition is still the best: The spirit of bershon is pretty much how you feel when you’re 13 and your parents make you wear a Christmas sweatshirt and then pose for a family picture, and you could not possibly summon one more ounce of disgust, but you’re also way too cool to really even DEAL with it, so you just make this face like you smelled something bad and sort of roll your eyes and seethe in a put-out manner." The article is very amusing, and if you'd like to read it and laugh before you start digging through your own family scrapbook for photographs displaying friends and relatives in various stages of bershon, you can check it out here.

Thanks for the tip, Heidi!

No comments: