Sunday, January 22, 2012

Girl with White Dog

This cabinet card is dated "1927" on the back, in elegant but faded green fountain pen ink. I'm assuming it's a mom and daughter portrait - they even have similar style dresses with the pleated skirt and dropped waistline. The daughter has such an interesting expression on her face, which I can't quite interpret. Is she impatient and annoyed having to stand for her portrait? I think not, judging from the fact that she has taken the time to pose her leg in a fashionable way. Mom is actually smiling, which is very unusual to see in a portrait of that era. I took quite a few liberties with this illustration, didn't I! Artistic license, you know...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's called "bershon" ;-)

Andree Tracey said...

Bershon! Thank you so much for your comment, Anonymous, I've never heard of "bershon", but I looked it up and it is SO perfect for the expression on the young girl's face! So perfect in fact, that I think I shall blog about the word next, since I found a very amusing article to reference. So thanks again!

Heidi (aka Anonymous) said...

Glad to help :-)

Carol said...

I love your interpretations of these old photos and am so inspired. I have an album full of ancient photos to start on. Found you through Illustration Friday and love your art.

Andree Tracey said...

Thanks, Carol! Good luck with that album of ancient photos...what a great source of inspiration for you!